The total refurbishment of the OXO Tower Restaurant; the customer brief was to design a long-term solution that would last for 20 years plus, improve working conditions (the existing kitchen was cramped and dark) whilst reducing both energy consumption and maintenance costs. The Client also wanted to limit the use of gas as the Restaurant is situated at the top of a domestic building.
TAG’s award winning design required careful design and planning to get the best use from the space, a holistic approach was taken which included some of the most technologically advanced equipment with unique features. The resultant kitchen scheme is pioneering and innovative and operates using 70% less energy than a standard kitchen.
• A De-Manincor TCS (total control remote monitoring system) monitors the energy use of every item of equipment in the kitchen, automatically balancing power usage and any faults that may develop. The monitoring is continuous 24/7 by TAG and the manufacturers. Any fault that may develop generates an alarm so the problem can be rectified remotely or an engineer can be dispatched, often before the customer is aware there is even a problem;
• The existing gas range was replaced with a bespoke De-Manincor Induction range for reliability and to reduce running costs, the ambient temperature of the kitchen is also reduced and has significantly improved the working environment;
• A specially designed vented ceiling allowed us to raise the ceiling height and make the whole kitchen more open and bright, incorporating energy saving LED lighting;
• Energy saving heat recovery systems;
• A bespoke, set down, space saving fryer;
• Hydraulic heated gantries to save space;
• A Frima Bratt Pan 211 plus;
• Meiko K Series Premium Rack Conveyor Dishwasher;
• Granuldisk smart machine to reduce staffing levels and improve hygiene;
The client is really delighted with the whole installation and innovative solutions, especially the TCS system; significant savings on running costs were noticed immediately. The improved design and new equipment has meant the kitchen works much more efficiently, allowing the client to increase their covers; overall the kitchen is calmer and a better working environment.The Head Chef, Jeremy Bloor, said “The kitchen is beautiful, it’s so much brighter and cooler than before, with the amazing new ceiling and equipment, everyone wants to work in this kitchen now”, continuing “everything is perfect it’s surpassed my expectations and the new layout has made service so much more efficient”.The Head Maitre’d of OXO Tower said “it’s helped us so much front of house, as everyone is more relaxed in the kitchen, they can take unique orders more easily and are a lot calmer, which has directly helped us to improve our service quality”.